Sunday 11 April 2010

Parsnip Experiment

Having read an interesting chitting post on another blog I have been reading a lot about parsnips having never grown them before. It seems that parsnips can only be grown from fresh seed and that they take forever to germinate hence the fascination with chitting. So having read lot's of different ideas I have decided to try two of those ideas and one idea of my own. Trial A has seen me get a plastic container from the re-cycling and cover the bottom with damp kitchen roll, spread the seeds on the top and then mist the seeds and cover with clingfilm. These seeds have then been placed in my conservatory on the sill above the radiator (this is my very best germination spot). Trial B was to get a clear sandwich box and again cover the bottom with moist kitchen roll, spread the seeds on the top and then place the lid on the sandwich box and then place in the airing cupboard. Then Trial C is an idea I got from plan B, you see although parsnip seeds need to be fresh you still get 300 per packet! So you get a lot left over to experiment with and so I have decided that I will try to germinate some in my sprouter. I usually use this for growing mung beans so I thought why not try parsnips. The seeds are currently soaking overnight and will then go in the sprouter on a tear below some mung beans. Will it work? Find out when I bring the results in about a weeks time.

2 comments:

  1. You may have to give it a little over a week as parsnip seed is notoriously slow to germinate, even using the methods mentioned. It will be interesting to hear your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit, I just stick 'em in the ground and let them get on with it, espcially with windowsill space at a premium at this time of year. Be interested to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete